Sunday, May 18, 2008

Things I'll Never Understand Part 1: One Night Stands

All right. This will the first in a series of things that, for reasons of logic, personal distaste, or sheer lack of ability, I don't think I will ever be able to understand. This does not necessarily imply that I think the items covered here are bad (Though I do for some, such as this one. These will usually be the logic-based ones).
Anyway, part one: The concept of the one-night stand. I don't know about you, but I think "private parts" are called that for a reason. I'm not some puritanical prude who faints and/or vomits at the sheer idea of anyone having sex outside of a monogamous marriage, but let's use a bit of common sense here. This is not 1908. There are a lot more venereal diseases out there than there were 100 years ago. Personally, I am not all that attracted to the idea of sticking my genitals into the genitals of anyone I don't already have a deep emotional relationship with, and I trust to not be carrying something that at best could make my life a lot more miserable than it has to be, and at worst could kill me.
Plus, why is sex such a damn big deal anyway? Granted it's supposed to feel nice, but there's plenty of things to do in a relationship without jumping straight to sex. Maybe if the media could find money in showing the less physical sides of relationships, we could control our hormones a little more. On the other hand, maybe we should just try harder.

No comments: